Child's death has 'really affected' Enfield
Willa died Wednesday, two days after her coat caught on a makeshift lean-to outside an unlicensed home daycare, choking her.
The accident occurred at the home of Mary Ellen Burritt, 718 Lockhaven Road, Crate said.
Burritt had been operating an unlicensed daycare out of her home.
Because she had five children under her care, the state Department of Health and Human Services Division of Child Care Licensing has issued her a cease and desist order for caring for more than three children without a license from the state, Crate said.
Crate said he is still investigating the matter to determine "what if any laws were violated."
"I don't think there was any criminal intent at all in this," Crate said.
"Definitely when we have these cases we do make recommendations to the prosecutors in what we see, but she has the ultimate decision making in that," Crate said.
"I'm going to try to have us all meet together and look at everything," Crate said. "What can we do to prevent something like this from happening. … We owe it to the victim in this situation, her family and everyone involved to look at everything here."
"It was an infant that died while at a daycare that was unlicensed," he said. "This is (the) second death we've had at a daycare center in the last several months. … We've got two of these in our community in a short period of time."
Burritt had registered a daycare business with the state in 2005, Lothlorien Day Care, LLC. According to a 2000 New Hampshire Union Leader article, Burritt was a Girl Scout leader.
Willa apparently climbed onto a small makeshift lean-to and somehow fell, catching the back of her jacket on a stick.
She found the child hanging by her coat, unhooked her and immediately began CPR, according to Crate. She then went back inside and called 911.
In announcing their daughter's death Wednesday, Cara and Michael Clark said in a statement, "Willa Shine Clark was a bright light in our lives. She illuminated many of the paths that she crossed."