Home » News » Public Safety
2 dead, 17 hurt in historic Boston neighborhood blaze
BOSTON (Reuters) — Two firefighters were reported killed and at least 17 people injured as a nine-alarm fire raced through a four-story building in the city's historic Back Bay neighborhood on Wednesday, drawing a large-scale emergency response, local officials said.
The Boston Globe, quoting two people with direct knowledge of the fire, said the two Boston firefighters died while battling the blaze but gave no further details.
All residents of the apartment building escaped unharmed, said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald. He described the fire as a nine-alarm incident, the department's highest level of severity.
With more than 150 firefighters at the scene, it was not immediately known how many of the injured may have been civilians, he said.
"It's a very unstable condition right now," MacDonald told reporters earlier. With the winds, "it's hard fighting it from the outside."
Boston Emergency Medical Service said it had taken 17 people to area hospitals.
On Wednesday afternoon, MacDonald told Reuters that of the injured firefighters brought to area hospitals, one was listed in serious condition.
Firefighters were focused on keeping the blaze from spreading to neighboring buildings on a day the city was buffeted by high winds, MacDonald said.
Live television video showed an enormous plume of smoke rising from the building, and hovering over the city. State police said they closed a major roadway along the Charles River behind the burning building.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
- Three-alarm fire heavily damages Franklin store - 0
- 74-year-old woman suffers serious injuries in hit-and-run incident in Windham - 0
- Grandmother charged in ATV crash with tot - 1
- ATV flips in Alton with 3-year-old on board - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance