Manchester soldier awarded Purple Heart a humble hero
Gen. Michaelene Kloster, right, presents the Purple Heart award to Sgt. Paul M. Dimond, as his wife, Mary, looks on, Friday morning at the New Hampshire State House in Concord. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
After receiving the Purple Heart, Sgt. Paul Dimond smiles proudly alongside, from left, U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, Sen. Kelly Ayotte, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, his wife Mary, stepdaughter Vanessa Poirier, son Paul Dimond, Jr., and Gov. Maggie Hassan, Friday morning at the New Hampshire State House in Concord. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
Dimond was honored during a Purple Heart ceremony in the State House Friday morning, attended by Gov. Maggie Hassan, U.S. Sens. Jeanne Shaheen and Kelly Ayotte, U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, Brigadier Generals Michaelene Klosters and Peter Corey, as well as Dimond family members and friends.
"Last night I looked up the definition of a hero," said Brig. Gen Kloster. "The definition is this - a person who in the face of danger and adversity displays the courage, the will, and self-sacrifice for the greater good. This definition personifies the character of Sgt. Dimond. Your actions, your character, your commitment and most of all your courage and resiliency make you just that - a true American hero."
On December 8, 2011, Dimond, who works in security at Seabrook Station, was in the U.S. Army Reserves serving as an adviser to the Afghan National Army when five grenades placed under the seat of Afghan Maj. Gen. Abdul Hameed at a military graduation ceremony in Kandahar were detonated via remote control, in an unsuccessful attempt to assassinate Hameed.
Last week in Tennessee, Dimond's father-in-law, John Morse, 67, received a Purple Heart for wounds he suffered during the Vietnam War 44 years ago after being struck by shrapnel.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 29
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 30
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs
School's out for voters