Training dogs to walk on a loose leash requires 3 important elements
. Controlling the dog's ability to pull successfully.
. Recognizing what reinforces your dog when you're out for a walk so you can control your dog's ability to reward himself by pulling.
I'll address the latter two aspects next week.
To help control your dog's ability to pull, there are several equipment options. The two I prefer, because they don't involve employing physical pain, are head halters and "no-pull" walking harnesses.
When using a head halter, introduce your dog to it slowly, using lots of treats as you put the loop over your dog's nose. You'll find some training videos on YouTube that can help (search for "Introducing head halters"). It's important to introduce it properly, or your dog might not become accustomed to it. With a little positive training, most dogs learn to walk nicely with a head halter.Whatever tool you choose, it is just a tool. Next week, how to use equipment properly to teach your dog to walk on a loose leash no matter what he's wearing.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads