Training dogs to walk on a loose leash requires 3 important elements
. Controlling the dog's ability to pull successfully.
. Recognizing what reinforces your dog when you're out for a walk so you can control your dog's ability to reward himself by pulling.
I'll address the latter two aspects next week.
To help control your dog's ability to pull, there are several equipment options. The two I prefer, because they don't involve employing physical pain, are head halters and "no-pull" walking harnesses.
When using a head halter, introduce your dog to it slowly, using lots of treats as you put the loop over your dog's nose. You'll find some training videos on YouTube that can help (search for "Introducing head halters"). It's important to introduce it properly, or your dog might not become accustomed to it. With a little positive training, most dogs learn to walk nicely with a head halter.Whatever tool you choose, it is just a tool. Next week, how to use equipment properly to teach your dog to walk on a loose leash no matter what he's wearing.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
- Swanzey dog rescue seeks funds to rebuild after fire - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
- Three missing Siberian Huskies found dead - 5
- 3 communities may share animal officer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 2
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH