Charles Krauthammer: Obama vs. Putin, the mismatch
SHOULD A LOVELY sentiment. As lovely as what Obama said five years ago to the United Nations: "No one nation can or should try to dominate another nation."
That's the kind of sentiment you expect from a Miss America contestant asked to name her fondest wish, not from the leader of the free world explaining his foreign policy.
Good God. Putin hasn't transcended the Russian revolution. Did no one give Obama a copy of Putin's speech last week upon the annexation of Crimea? Putin railed not only at Russia's loss of empire in the 1990s. He went back to the 1920s: "After the revolution, the Bolsheviks . may God judge them, added large sections of the historical South of Russia to the Republic of Ukraine." Putin was referring not to Crimea (which came two sentences later) but to his next potential target: Kharkiv and Donetsk and the rest of southeastern Ukraine.
For seven decades since the Japanese surrender, our role under 11 Presidents had been as offshore balancer protecting smaller allies from potential regional hegemons.
The Gulf states are near panic as they see America playacting nuclear negotiations with Iran that, at best, will leave their mortal Shiite enemy just weeks away from the bomb.
Charles Krauthammer is a columnist for The Washington Post.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
- Three missing Siberian Huskies found dead - 5
- 3 communities may share animal officer - 0
- Merrimack dog owner desperate to find three missing Huskies - 1
- Dock-diving dogs woof it up at Humane Society fundraiser - 0
- Walk for Whiskers to raise money to support shelter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters