George Will: Take a swing at these
(2) Hit more than 50 home runs in a season in which he had fewer than 50 strikeouts.
(3) Won a batting title hitting .361 but slumped to .243 the next season.
(5) Caught the most games.
(6) Was the first catcher to hit 40 home runs.
(7) Batted at least .300 and drove in at least 100 runs in each of his first 11 seasons.
(8) Hit 50 home runs in one season and stole 50 bases in another (two players).
(10) Had 3,000 hits, 300 home runs and a career .300 average (four players).
(11) Received the most unintentional walks.
(12) Is the only American League player to have 100 walks, 70 extra-base hits and 30 stolen bases in a season.
(14) Was the first lefthander to win 300 games.
(15) Won three ERA titles before age 26.
(16) Was the last player to have 600 hits with three teams.
(18) Had 10 consecutive 200-hit seasons.
(19) Had eight league home run titles, ranking second to Babe Ruth's 12.
(20) Completed 237 of the 370 games he started in the 1950s.
(22) Contracted tuberculosis, interrupting his Hall of Fame career at second base and perhaps costing his team a third consecutive pennant.
(24) Was the first African-American to win an American League batting title.
(25) Are the only active players to have at least 350 home runs and a .320 average (two players).
(27) Had 27 wins in a season pitching for a losing team (three players).
(28) Was the World Series MVP on a losing team.
(30) Made All-Star Game rosters at catcher and second base.
(31) Played the most games at first base.
(32) Had only 54 wins at age 30 but won 318.
(34) Other than Jackie Robinson, had his number retired by three teams.
(35) Although a relief pitcher, started a season 17-0 and finished 18-1.
(37) Was the last pitcher with 10 shutouts in a season.
(38) Hit the most career doubles.
(39) Won 16 consecutive Gold Gloves (two players).
(40) Won the Cy Young Award in his rookie season.
(42) Compiled the most total bases in a game.
(43) Had the lowest World Series ERA (minimum 30 innings pitched).
(44) Walked six times in a nine-inning game.
2) Johnny Mize, 1947
3) Norm Cash, 1961-1962
5) Ivan Rodriguez
6) Roy Campanella
7) Al Simmons
8) Brady Anderson, Barry Bonds
9) Rickey Henderson, Stan Musial, Pete Rose, Carl Yastrzemski
10) Hank Aaron, George Brett, Willie Mays, Stan Musial
12) Mike Trout
13) Bobby Abreu, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds
14) Eddie Plank
15) Clayton Kershaw
16) Johnny Damon
17) Babe Ruth
18) Ichiro Suzuki
19) Mike Schmidt
20) Robin Roberts
21) Frank Howard
23) Nate Colbert, Stan Musial
24) Frank Robinson, 1966
25) Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols
26) Eddie Mathews
27) Grover Cleveland Alexander, Steve Carlton, Eddie Rommel
28) Bobby Richardson, 1960 Yankees
30) Craig Biggio
31) Eddie Murray
32) Phil Niekro
33) Reggie Jackson; 1973 A's, 1977 Yankees
34) Nolan Ryan; Angels, Astros, Rangers
35) Roy Face, 1959
36) Grover Cleveland Alexander
37) John Tudor, 1985
39) Jim Kaat, Brooks Robinson
40) Fernando Valenzuela, 1981
41) Dick Groat, 1960
42) Shawn Green, 19: single, double, 4 home runs
43) Harry Brecheen, 0.83
44) Jimmie Foxx
Bonus answer: Ralph Kiner, of course.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 1
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 4
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 22
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 15
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Another View - Debra and Marc Tice: Give families a say in hostage policy - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Politicians betray us by betraying our protectors - 1
- Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Felony drug charge for Rochester man in crack cocaine case - 0
- Granite Staters are front and center for UNH - 0
- Monarchs hope to wrap two wins - 0
- College Football: These Redbirds can run and pass - 0
- Bedford pizza restaurant gets surprise makeover from Eastern Bank - 0
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 0
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 10
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- College Basketball: UNH women top Dartmouth - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed