George Will: Take a swing at these
(2) Hit more than 50 home runs in a season in which he had fewer than 50 strikeouts.
(3) Won a batting title hitting .361 but slumped to .243 the next season.
(5) Caught the most games.
(6) Was the first catcher to hit 40 home runs.
(7) Batted at least .300 and drove in at least 100 runs in each of his first 11 seasons.
(8) Hit 50 home runs in one season and stole 50 bases in another (two players).
(10) Had 3,000 hits, 300 home runs and a career .300 average (four players).
(11) Received the most unintentional walks.
(12) Is the only American League player to have 100 walks, 70 extra-base hits and 30 stolen bases in a season.
(14) Was the first lefthander to win 300 games.
(15) Won three ERA titles before age 26.
(16) Was the last player to have 600 hits with three teams.
(18) Had 10 consecutive 200-hit seasons.
(19) Had eight league home run titles, ranking second to Babe Ruth's 12.
(20) Completed 237 of the 370 games he started in the 1950s.
(22) Contracted tuberculosis, interrupting his Hall of Fame career at second base and perhaps costing his team a third consecutive pennant.
(24) Was the first African-American to win an American League batting title.
(25) Are the only active players to have at least 350 home runs and a .320 average (two players).
(27) Had 27 wins in a season pitching for a losing team (three players).
(28) Was the World Series MVP on a losing team.
(30) Made All-Star Game rosters at catcher and second base.
(31) Played the most games at first base.
(32) Had only 54 wins at age 30 but won 318.
(34) Other than Jackie Robinson, had his number retired by three teams.
(35) Although a relief pitcher, started a season 17-0 and finished 18-1.
(37) Was the last pitcher with 10 shutouts in a season.
(38) Hit the most career doubles.
(39) Won 16 consecutive Gold Gloves (two players).
(40) Won the Cy Young Award in his rookie season.
(42) Compiled the most total bases in a game.
(43) Had the lowest World Series ERA (minimum 30 innings pitched).
(44) Walked six times in a nine-inning game.
2) Johnny Mize, 1947
3) Norm Cash, 1961-1962
5) Ivan Rodriguez
6) Roy Campanella
7) Al Simmons
8) Brady Anderson, Barry Bonds
9) Rickey Henderson, Stan Musial, Pete Rose, Carl Yastrzemski
10) Hank Aaron, George Brett, Willie Mays, Stan Musial
12) Mike Trout
13) Bobby Abreu, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds
14) Eddie Plank
15) Clayton Kershaw
16) Johnny Damon
17) Babe Ruth
18) Ichiro Suzuki
19) Mike Schmidt
20) Robin Roberts
21) Frank Howard
23) Nate Colbert, Stan Musial
24) Frank Robinson, 1966
25) Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols
26) Eddie Mathews
27) Grover Cleveland Alexander, Steve Carlton, Eddie Rommel
28) Bobby Richardson, 1960 Yankees
30) Craig Biggio
31) Eddie Murray
32) Phil Niekro
33) Reggie Jackson; 1973 A's, 1977 Yankees
34) Nolan Ryan; Angels, Astros, Rangers
35) Roy Face, 1959
36) Grover Cleveland Alexander
37) John Tudor, 1985
39) Jim Kaat, Brooks Robinson
40) Fernando Valenzuela, 1981
41) Dick Groat, 1960
42) Shawn Green, 19: single, double, 4 home runs
43) Harry Brecheen, 0.83
44) Jimmie Foxx
Bonus answer: Ralph Kiner, of course.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 5
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 69
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'