All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Nashua police suspect there may be other victims of coach accused of sex assaults

Union Leader Correspondent

March 31. 2014 10:45AM


NASHUA - A man accused of sexually assaulting a boy for several years in the 1980s had coached various youth sports groups in the city, according to police, who say it is possible there were other victims.

Walter Michael Keegan, 62, of 361 Gansevoort Road, Fort Edward, N.Y., was recently arrested and charged with six counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one count of felonious sexual assault against the boy.

According to police, the boy was sodomized in Nashua on several occasions between 1983 and 1989 when he was between the ages of 8 and 13. The victim, now 37, told local authorities about the assaults in February, according to court documents.

The attacks took place in a vehicle, in a bedroom and occasionally during hunting trips in the woods, says a police affidavit filed by Officer Mike Welch of the Nashua Police Department. The victim estimated that he was allegedly sexually assaulted by Keegan an average of three times per month during the seven-year time span.

“The investigation has revealed that while living in Nashua during the aforementioned years, Keegan was an active member of the community and local volunteer for sporting organizations, which included baseball and basketball,” police said in a statement.

Authorities have released a photograph of Keegan from the 1980s, and are asking anyone with information about him to contact police.

Lt. Francis Sullivan said these types of crimes are often crimes of opportunity, and police have released the old photograph in case other victims are out there and interested in pursuing charges.

Since Keegan left New Hampshire, the statute of limitations has not yet expired, said Sullivan, adding there is still time to prosecute if other victims speak up.

Sullivan said Keegan served as an assistant volunteer coach for a Little League baseball team in the city and a recreational basketball league for pre-teens between 1983 and 1989. He also volunteered for a local Cub Scouts group, according to Sullivan.

When police questioned Keegan about the alleged sexual assaults, “he initially stated it happened several times a month, then later stated no more than a dozen times,” according to the affidavit on file at the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.

“Mr. Keegan stated he never used force and never asked (the boy) to do anything he didn’t want to do,” says court records.

The criminal complaints allege that Keegan inappropriately touched the child and also had anal intercourse with the victim.

During the recent investigation, police learned of a second possible sexual assault victim in New York. Those crimes allegedly took place after Keegan left the Nashua area and moved south, say court documents.

“We are working with New York authorities on that end,” said Sullivan, adding New York police will likely be conducting an independent investigation involving other potential victims in their state.

Keegan, who was arrested last month on the Nashua charges, is being held on $100,000 cash-only bail. Keegan’s family members have notified law enforcement that Keegan may be suicidal, telling police he recently apologized and left odd instructions about caring for his dog, say court records.

“The state submits that the defendant poses a danger to himself, displaying signs of suicide and depression,” according to a motion filed by Evelyn King, prosecutor for the Nashua Police Department, who sought an emergency motion for order of preventive detention without bail

Keegan will be back in court Thursday for a probable cause hearing.

Anyone with information about Keegan is urged to call local police at 594-3500.


Previous story follows:


NASHUA — A man who volunteered as a baseball and basketball coach for pre-teen to teenage boys more than three decades ago is now facing accusations he repeatedly sexually assaulted a boy between 1983 and 1989.

W. Michael Keegan, 62, of 361 Gansevoort Road, Fort Edward, N.Y, was arrested March 21 on multiple counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault.

He is being held on $100,000 cash-only bail after arraignment in 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.

Police opened an investigation after receiving a complaint Feb. 17 from the alleged victim who told them Keegan sexually assaulted him between 1983 and 1989.

Keegan was living in Nashua during those years, was an active member of the community and a volunteer basketball and baseball coach, according to police.

Investigators released two photographs of Keegan, one taken in the 1980s, and the most recent taken when he was arrested.

Anyone with information regarding Keegan is asked to call police at 594-3500. He helped out various baseball and basketball. organizations more than 30 years ago.

Crime, law and justice Nashua

More Headlines