Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Man sentenced 20-80 years for shooting at officer
Manchester police Officer Aaron Brown and his wife Julia (foreground) listen Monday during Gauthier's sentencing hearing. (MARK HAYWARD / UNION LEADER)
Garrett Gauthier, 22, was being chased through a Silver Street residential neighborhood April 12, 2013, when he turned and fired a bullet toward Aaron Brown, a 10-year veteran of the force. Brown was about 20 feet away; he ducked, moved toward a shed and returned fire.
Manchester police officers fill half a courtroom at Hillsborough County Superior Court-North on Monday to see Garrett Gauthier sentenced for trying to kill a Manchester police officer. (MARK HAYWARD / UNION LEADER)
The sentence is the first of two scheduled this week for people who put a Manchester police officer in danger. Today, Chris Varigianis is expected to appear in the same courthouse and receive a seven-year sentence for driving a car at a police detective last June.
"It's the inherent danger in the job we all agree to and understand," he said. Brown said he remembers ducking once Gauthier turned toward him. At that moment, he thought about his wife and children never seeing him again, he said.
"I'm grateful no one was hurt that day," he said, "I was not myself and under the influence of a lot of drugs."
In paperwork filed before the hearing, Winters disclosed that Gauthier had come into a significant amount of money when he turned 21 and could access his share of a medical malpractice award. The award involved Gauthier's father, Toby Gauthier, who died when Gauthier was 13.
The prosecution was handled by Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance, who noted Gauthier was on probation last April. He wore a tactical shirt, which allowed him to carry three firearms, LaFrance said.
Police Chief David Mara; Brown's mother, Claudette Brown, Brown's wife, Julia Brown, and Brown all addressed Abramson.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 4
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 10
- Newport shooting victim in stable but critical condition - 0
- Nashua arrests 9 on drug warrants - 0
- Police: Nashua man in car targeted by gunfire was felon with gun - 1
- Man shot at in Nashua drive-by charged with unrelated possession of stolen gun - 0
- NH Supreme Court rules 4 teen killers entitled to sentencing hearings - 6
- Hampton woman who fatally struck pedestrian wants blood test thrown out of court - 1
- Man seeks to upend conviction in Deerfield home invasion case - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots trade backup QB - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Bob Smith gets A+ from NH Firearms Coalition - 4
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
NH's teen pregnancy still lowest nationwide
Amnesty? Garcia is against it
George Will: Paul Ryan's way forward
- Total Votes: 917