action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Juan Sanchez-Rodriguez

Jul 16, 2014

Anthony Michael Kay

Anthony M. Kay

Jul 10, 2014

Paul Grace

Paul Grace

Jun 26, 2014

Eddie Cepeda

CAPTURED

Eddie Cepeda

Jun 20, 2014

Home » News » Crime

April 02. 2014 10:26PM

Investigation into officer-related shooting in Rochester awaiting medical results from Maine

ROCHESTER — State officials need lab results from Maine before they release their report on an officer-involved shooting that ended the life of a man March 10.

While officials anticipated the report would be finished within 30 to 45 days, Assistant Attorney General Benjamin Agati said Tuesday it will take more time to complete the investigation into the shooting, which occurred after three probation/parole officers from the Department of Corrections and a Strafford County Sheriff’s deputy attempted to serve Ben Shannon, 35, with a warrant at his mother’s home at 28 Periwinkle Drive in Sak’s Mobile Home Park along Milton Road.

“We are still working on it,” Agati said, adding it is taking “additional time” to complete the autopsy report, which was conducted by the Maine State Medical Examiner’s Office.

Agati said Maine officials are waiting for laboratory results to complete the report. He said these results will help determine whether any medical issues or treatments were factors in the shooting.

Agati previously said the state is investigating the shooting because it involved law enforcement officers using potentially deadly force. He added investigators were still trying to determine how many shots were fired and who fired them.

While the state has not released the identities of the officers, Agati said it is up to the individual departments to determine whether they can return to duty.

“Each department does it differently,” Agati said.

After conducting an internal investigation, Strafford County Sheriff David Dubois said the deputy who was involved in the incident returned to duty March 19 after being on administrative leave. He added the department offered counseling or assistance to the deputy, county dispatchers or any other personnel who was involved in the shooting.

Dubois said he’s withholding the name of the deputy until the Attorney General completes their report.

Members of the N.H. Probation & Parole office could not be reached for comment about the status of their officers involved in the shooting.

jquinn@newstote.com


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
  • Yes
  • 83%
  • No
  • 17%
  • Total Votes: 917

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events