Some remain hopeful for Gilford castle restoration
But residents who wish to save the castle and have it restored are not giving up.
“Anybody with any thoughts or concerns about the castle needs to come to that meeting,” Anderson said.
The castle, on the northern shoulder of Locke’s Hill overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee, has fallen into disrepair and is a danger. It is for sale for $799,000, but there haven’t been any buyers, and there are estimates that it could cost millions of dollars to restore.
“He was a man who rose to prominence during the growth of the Industrial Revolution and the development of the nation’s railroad,” she said.Kimball was born in Boscawen in 1833 into a family of railroad men. He graduated from Concord High School, Hildreth’s Preparatory School, and then entered Dartmouth College, graduating with highest honors in 1854, she said.
Once the railroad had reached Laconia and beyond, Kimball was one of a handful of men who envisioned the development of the Lakes Region into a major resort area, Anderson said.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
- New schedule feature will provide Nashua students with opportunities - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses - 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's