North Country battle escalates: Colebrook won't send police help to Stewartstown
Quinn said Tuesday he was “aware that there is a situation” between Colebrook and Stewartstown, adding that he was lining up discussions with the appropriate officials.
On March 10, Judge Peter Cyr found in favor of Stewartstown in a small-claims suit filed by Colebrook in First Circuit Court in Lancaster.
Colebrook said it costs $225 per call for its officer to go to Stewartstown, which has neither a police department nor fire department. It contracts for fire coverage with nearby Beecher Falls, Vt.
“We were hoping as a board that this thing would go away,” said Burns, and that the relationship between the towns would return to what it had been before the lawsuit.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 51
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
- George Will: In California, Goldwater 2.0 - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: Will big business become the left's faithful lapdog? - 2
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Playing the race card at the border - 2
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH