Nashua board members renew call for delay of Common Core testing
“This will give us more time to prepare and acquire new technology,” said Ziehm, who added that a delay will also bolster confidence in the tests.
“If you are considering this, I would suggest that you ask for an opinion from an attorney to know what your options are under state law,” said Conrad.
Ziehm went on to question who was running Nashua’s school district.
While the lack of public participation and the loss of local control over school districts has been a key concern among opponents of Common Core and Smarter Balance, several members of the Nashua board focused on the effect the tests would have on students, teachers and the school district.
Other board members expressed similar concerns.
But other members of the board felt concerns about local control were standing in the way of progress the schools might make through the Smarter Balance testing.
“I’m not sure what we are trying to do with this,” said Farrington. “Are we trying to prove to Concord that we have local control?”
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Rockingham County attorney candidates talk leadership at forum - 3
- Salem town manager dispute still not settled - 0
- At meeting, no resistance to tax cap amendment proposal - 1
- SNHU and NHIA say they’ll delay merger - 2
- Derry council’s town administrator applicant deadline passes - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney race forum set - 0
- Tree talk divides Nashua officials - 0
- Bridge Street project developers in Nashua to seek alternative financing - 0
- Nashua aldermen seeking developers for downtown area - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m