Home » News » Politics » State Government
Opposition grows to sexual orientation constitutional amendment
That was not the only opposition to Constitutional Amendment Concurrent Resolution 17 as others said the sexual orientation needs to be more clearly defined and the proposed changes more thoroughly studied before letting voters decide in the next general election.
Without the constitutional amendment, said the bill's prime sponsor, Sen. David Pierce, D-Hanover, lawmakers could roll back hard–earned protections for the gay community.
"We don't know enough about this to throw this into the constitution," said Bryan McCormack, Cornerstone Action executive director. "We don't know the reaches of this or how it will be utilized in the future."
Others were concerned the term sexual orientation was too board and could include pedophilia, bestiality or incest.
More work needs to be done before transgender individuals have the same securities and protections gays, lesbians and bi-sexuals have, Butler said.
If the resolution passes the three-fifths threshold in the House, it will appear on the ballot in November, where it will require a two-thirds majority of the voters to be added to the constitution.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $11 million requested for priority city school projects - 1
- Berlin considers synthetic marijuana ban - 1
- New year could bring higher costs for members of Claremont Community Center - 0
- Retirement system ruling gets thumbs up from Moody's - 4
- Rates for Hudson recreation programs may be increasing - 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads