Home » News » Politics » State Government
Case made to Senate panel for ban on hand-held cell phone use while driving
The bill would allow the hands-free use of a cell phone via speaker phone, BlueTooth or on-board car phones, GPS or other electronic devices for drivers older than 18 years old.
Supporters noted that distracted driving is a factor in 27 percent of the fatal accidents in the state over the last three years, resulting in 116 deaths.
But opponents said the bill overreaches and its prohibitions are unrealistic. And they said current laws against distracted driving are not enforced and should be before any new restrictions are imposed.
Rep. Gary Daniels, R-Milford, noted the bill makes an exception for the use of CB radios and like devices; someone could just as easily hold a cell phone with one hand and carry on a conversation while looking at the road, he said.
Cell phone bans while driving have been before the legislature many times; none had been successful until the House passed HB 1360 on a 192-133 vote last month.
Using a cell phone while driving is banned in 12 states; 41 states prohibit texting while driving.
The bill creates the crime of impeded driving, which would be a primary offense that allows a police officer to stop a vehicle for violating the law. Under a secondary offense, police may not stop a vehicle for the violation, but if the driver is stopped for another violation, a charge can be brought.
The bill also had the backing of the New Hampshire Auto Dealers Association.
"You see people weave in and out of lanes like never before," Gaudet said. "I was a biker, but I bought a mountain bike last year. If you're out on the roads today, it's scary."
The only opposition to the bill at the Senate hearing came from representatives who had opposed the bill in the House.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection - 4
- Derry board to consider proposal to extend commercial zoning along Route 28 - 0
- Nashua's Broad Street Parkway on track to open August 2015 - 0
- Work to support Sullivan County agriculture made possible with USDA grant - 0
- Claremont to negotiate $1 sale of historic Sawtooth Building - 0
- Hampton board denies appeal in beach condo complaint over AT&T antennas - 0
- Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 5
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride