Few back Manchester proposal to pay-as- you-throw
"I feel it's another tax you're forcing on us," resident Robert Olson said.
But opinions expressed at the session seemed to back up what some city aldermen have said — that constituents have a strongly negative reaction to the prospect of the city adopting pay-as-you-throw (PAYT).
At Thursday's session, just one person who spoke said he was in favor of pay-as-you-throw.
"We all know that the costs of these bags will go up every year, just like our taxes," Ouellette said. He also said he believed bags on curbs would result in more garbage strewn in the streets.
A number of communities in the state have adopted bag fee programs, including Concord and Dover. Concord switched to PAYT in 2009. City trash bags can be purchased at more than a dozen stores. A 15-gallon bag costs $1; a 30-gallon bag costs $2.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return