Home » News » Public Safety
Derry police seek grant to pay for trail patrols
Town councilors voted Tuesday night to allow staff to begin the process of applying for a grant through the New Hampshire Department of Fish and Game. Owned by the state, a section of the Rockingham Trail runs through Derry.Derry Police Chief Edward Garone presented the request for the grant funding to councilors. He said the grant is funded through OHRV registrations with the state.Garone said the grant is unusual because the amount of money that will be distributed hasn’t been determined yet. In addition, Derry may not be included in the grant funding that will be distributed to communities throughout the state.Garone said by receiving approval from the council and applying for the grant, New Hampshire Fish and Game will be informed that Derry is among the other police departments interested in receiving grant funding.“This is an indication that we are willing to do it, and that we have the equipment to do so,” Garone said.
But any money received could help increase the police presence on the trail, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 1
- Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck - 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 2
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs