Home » News » Public Safety
Derry police seek grant to pay for trail patrols
Town councilors voted Tuesday night to allow staff to begin the process of applying for a grant through the New Hampshire Department of Fish and Game. Owned by the state, a section of the Rockingham Trail runs through Derry.Derry Police Chief Edward Garone presented the request for the grant funding to councilors. He said the grant is funded through OHRV registrations with the state.Garone said the grant is unusual because the amount of money that will be distributed hasn’t been determined yet. In addition, Derry may not be included in the grant funding that will be distributed to communities throughout the state.Garone said by receiving approval from the council and applying for the grant, New Hampshire Fish and Game will be informed that Derry is among the other police departments interested in receiving grant funding.“This is an indication that we are willing to do it, and that we have the equipment to do so,” Garone said.
But any money received could help increase the police presence on the trail, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'