Home » News » Public Safety
Derry resident battles house fire with garden hose, extinguishers
Meadowbrook Road resident Joe Mote, 21, walks through the backyard in the aftermath of a fire at his family's house Friday. (Hunter McGee/Union Leader Correspondent)
"I walked out the door, and I saw the flower bed on fire and that caught the house on fire," Mote said of the blaze that began at around 2 p.m.
Mote said the flames were shooting up about 15 feet along the back of the house, at 1 Meadowbrook Road.
After being called, fire crews quickly arrived and were able to extinguish the fire. The blaze caused some extensive damage to the back of the two-story house.
Derry fire Capt. Scott Jackson credited Mote and the neighbor, whose name wasn't available, with helping battle the fire and keeping it from spreading. Jackson added that it was a difficult task with the windy conditions that pushed the blaze toward the house.
"It was blowing the wrong way, toward the house," Jackson said, adding "He's lucky."
As Jackson spoke fire crews moved around the house to ensure the fire was extinguished. Sections of insulation and charred debris were strewn on the ground.
Mote said his sister was inside the house at the time with his young son. She was able to leave safely with the child, he said.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, said Derry Battalion Chief Michael Gagnon.
It was a busy day for Gagnon and other Derry firefighters who responded earlier in the afternoon to a fire at Alexander Carr Playground. No one was injured in that blaze; fire officials say they believe the fire was intentionally set.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change