Home » News » Public Safety
Driver misjudges height of Rochester trestle
Police say a Manchester truck driver hauling dumpsters crashed into the railroad trestle over Haven Hill Road Friday afternoon, temporarily closing both the road and the trestle bridge. (COURTESY)
According to police, Tyler Spencer, 25, was driving west when the dumpsters he was hauling in the bed of a Kenworth truck struck the railroad trestle shortly before 3 p.m. The force caused the dumpsters to be ejected from the rear of the truck, damaging both the containers and the vehicle.
Police contacted North Coast Railroad, which sent an inspector to check the trestle for damage, according to a press release.
Sgt. Patrick Emerson said the rail company held up one of its trains, which haul materials on that line, as a result of the crash. And Haven Hill Road was reduced to one lane for about 30 minutes.
However, police noted the trestle is clearly posted for the lower height limit, with signs and flashing lights to alert drivers. The bridge has been struck in the past, prompting authorities to put those safety measures in place, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 9
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer