Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke alarm saves three adults from Center Harbor fire
Fire Chief Leon Manville said town firefighters were joined by crews from eight Lakes Region fire departments in fighting a blaze that broke out at a single-family home shortly after 3 a.m. at 311 Daniel Webster Highway.
The fire started in an addition to the approximately 1,500-square-foot home, Manville said.
“It started in an addition that was up on posts, it had no foundation,” Manville said.
The cause of the fire is not known, he said, but the fire is not considered suspicious in nature.
When firefighters arrived at about 3:15 a.m., he said, there was “heavy fire in the addition.”
“We mounted an aggressive interior attack, and we were able to keep the fire from spreading too much. It was contained to the addition,” he said.
The three adults living in the home managed to get out, as one heard a smoke alarm and woke the others up. When firefighters arrived, the three occupants were outside the home, Manville said, watching the flames.
Inspectors were looking at the home Saturday morning to see if it is still inhabitable, he said. Meanwhile, the occupants of the home were being aided by the Red Cross, he said, with living arrangements.
Center Harbor firefighters were joined by fire departments from Meredith, Moultonboro, Holderness, Ashland, Laconia, New Hampton, Sanbornton and Gilford.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0