Home » News » Public Safety
Smoke alarm saves three adults from Center Harbor fire
Fire Chief Leon Manville said town firefighters were joined by crews from eight Lakes Region fire departments in fighting a blaze that broke out at a single-family home shortly after 3 a.m. at 311 Daniel Webster Highway.
The fire started in an addition to the approximately 1,500-square-foot home, Manville said.
“It started in an addition that was up on posts, it had no foundation,” Manville said.
The cause of the fire is not known, he said, but the fire is not considered suspicious in nature.
When firefighters arrived at about 3:15 a.m., he said, there was “heavy fire in the addition.”
“We mounted an aggressive interior attack, and we were able to keep the fire from spreading too much. It was contained to the addition,” he said.
The three adults living in the home managed to get out, as one heard a smoke alarm and woke the others up. When firefighters arrived, the three occupants were outside the home, Manville said, watching the flames.
Inspectors were looking at the home Saturday morning to see if it is still inhabitable, he said. Meanwhile, the occupants of the home were being aided by the Red Cross, he said, with living arrangements.
Center Harbor firefighters were joined by fire departments from Meredith, Moultonboro, Holderness, Ashland, Laconia, New Hampton, Sanbornton and Gilford.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- All safe following early-morning Manchester blaze on West Side - 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 4
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 0
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 26
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 7
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'