Charles Krauthammer: Kerry's folly, Chapter 3
Then, even as Russian special forces are taking over Crimea, Kerry goes chasing after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov - first to Paris, then Rome, then London - offering a diplomatic "offramp." Lavrov shrugs him off. Russia annexes Crimea.
Now in the 10th year of a four-year term (there never was a reelection - he just stayed in office), Abbas doesn't have the legitimacy. With half of Palestine (namely Gaza) controlled by his rejectionist mortal enemy Hamas, he doesn't have the authority.
Abbas wants to call off the farce so he can go to U.N. agencies for recognition - a strategy of achieving statehood without negotiations with Israel that contradicts every agreement the Palestinians have signed since the 1993 Oslo Accord.
But Pollard? He is an American traitor who is up for parole next year anyway. It has long been a mistake for Israel to agitate for his release. He disgracefully betrayed his country. What kind of corrupt and cynical quid pro quo is this?
After all, that would be diplomacy with teeth. So 19th century.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Request to start funding Londonderry auditorium may go to voters in March - 0
- Gilford selectmen vote to allow fireworks in town again - 0
- Former Fitzwilliam police chief's lawsuit against the town dismissed - 0
- Nashua panel wants details on proposed site for city's new public health building - 0
- Sunapee officials say they don't plan to build housing - 1
- Merrimack considering assistant town manager - 0
- Lakes Region commission sees less growth in region - 1
- Cheshire commissioners to gather public opinion on county nursing home plans - 0
- Nashua group recommends new police contract - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree