Home » News » Public Safety
Students get an online crash course in safe driving
"We opened this up to all prom-eligible students, specifically juniors and seniors, said Pembroke Academy Assistant Principal Paul Famulari.
According to a release from AG Supermarkets Inc. - which has a warehouse in Pembroke and recently opened Sully's at the former site of Bi-Wise Market in Allenstown - statistics from the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency indicate texting while driving takes a driver's eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, or the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field blindfolded at 55 mph.
"I've been pretty strict on being buckled and making sure everyone who gets in my car is safe," he said. "Texts can wait, and I don't need to be on the phone while I'm driving. Once I get to my destination, I can text who I need to text."
Additional prizes, which are furnished by Sully, include four tickets to the prom and gift cards to a local florist.
Voting begins on Thursday at noon and closes on Monday, April 14, at 8 a.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test