Home » News » Public Safety
Students get an online crash course in safe driving
"We opened this up to all prom-eligible students, specifically juniors and seniors, said Pembroke Academy Assistant Principal Paul Famulari.
According to a release from AG Supermarkets Inc. - which has a warehouse in Pembroke and recently opened Sully's at the former site of Bi-Wise Market in Allenstown - statistics from the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency indicate texting while driving takes a driver's eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, or the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field blindfolded at 55 mph.
"I've been pretty strict on being buckled and making sure everyone who gets in my car is safe," he said. "Texts can wait, and I don't need to be on the phone while I'm driving. Once I get to my destination, I can text who I need to text."
Additional prizes, which are furnished by Sully, include four tickets to the prom and gift cards to a local florist.
Voting begins on Thursday at noon and closes on Monday, April 14, at 8 a.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 6
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's