Home » News » Public Safety
Students get an online crash course in safe driving
"We opened this up to all prom-eligible students, specifically juniors and seniors, said Pembroke Academy Assistant Principal Paul Famulari.
According to a release from AG Supermarkets Inc. - which has a warehouse in Pembroke and recently opened Sully's at the former site of Bi-Wise Market in Allenstown - statistics from the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency indicate texting while driving takes a driver's eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, or the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field blindfolded at 55 mph.
"I've been pretty strict on being buckled and making sure everyone who gets in my car is safe," he said. "Texts can wait, and I don't need to be on the phone while I'm driving. Once I get to my destination, I can text who I need to text."
Additional prizes, which are furnished by Sully, include four tickets to the prom and gift cards to a local florist.
Voting begins on Thursday at noon and closes on Monday, April 14, at 8 a.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with school - 0
- UPDATED: Driver killed in crash on Route 101A in Amherst is identified - 1
- Need a job? The NH State Prison wants you - 0
- Man dies, toddler rescued in Manchester apartment fire - 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 2
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
- NHIAA: Brummett scores 5 for Derryfield - 0
- NHIAA: Souhegan advances in OT - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Hassan, Havenstein spar over education
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood