Home » News » Public Safety
Students get an online crash course in safe driving
"We opened this up to all prom-eligible students, specifically juniors and seniors, said Pembroke Academy Assistant Principal Paul Famulari.
According to a release from AG Supermarkets Inc. - which has a warehouse in Pembroke and recently opened Sully's at the former site of Bi-Wise Market in Allenstown - statistics from the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency indicate texting while driving takes a driver's eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, or the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field blindfolded at 55 mph.
"I've been pretty strict on being buckled and making sure everyone who gets in my car is safe," he said. "Texts can wait, and I don't need to be on the phone while I'm driving. Once I get to my destination, I can text who I need to text."
Additional prizes, which are furnished by Sully, include four tickets to the prom and gift cards to a local florist.
Voting begins on Thursday at noon and closes on Monday, April 14, at 8 a.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 2
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too