South School drama club lends funky touch to fairy tale
South School students, from left, Sage Matzker, Jillian Maguire, Jonathan Mok and Greg Lindquist rehearse a scene from “The Rockin' Tale of Snow White” Friday afternoon. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
From the colorfully painted backdrops of woodland scenes and magic mirrors to the upbeat musical score, "The Rockin' Tale of Snow White" tells the familiar story in a way the Grimms never could have imagined.
Teacher Deanna Poulin, who has led the school's drama program for the past several years, said the show is school's first musical.
Animals sing and dance, Snow White's magic mirror has a penchant for rap music and as for these seven dwarves, well they're more likely to "doo-wop" than "hi-ho."
Fifth-grader Jillian Maguire plays the role of the evil queen and she said she's been having plenty of fun perfecting her character.
Playing the role of the queen's sinister pet bats are fourth-grader Sage Matzker and fifth-grader Jonathan Mok.
"We get to rap along with our buddy, the queen," said Matzker. "It's definitely not like the Disney movie."
Lindquist had two words to describe his first theater experience. "It's awesome," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll