South School drama club lends funky touch to fairy tale
South School students, from left, Sage Matzker, Jillian Maguire, Jonathan Mok and Greg Lindquist rehearse a scene from “The Rockin' Tale of Snow White” Friday afternoon. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
From the colorfully painted backdrops of woodland scenes and magic mirrors to the upbeat musical score, "The Rockin' Tale of Snow White" tells the familiar story in a way the Grimms never could have imagined.
Teacher Deanna Poulin, who has led the school's drama program for the past several years, said the show is school's first musical.
Animals sing and dance, Snow White's magic mirror has a penchant for rap music and as for these seven dwarves, well they're more likely to "doo-wop" than "hi-ho."
Fifth-grader Jillian Maguire plays the role of the evil queen and she said she's been having plenty of fun perfecting her character.
Playing the role of the queen's sinister pet bats are fourth-grader Sage Matzker and fifth-grader Jonathan Mok.
"We get to rap along with our buddy, the queen," said Matzker. "It's definitely not like the Disney movie."
Lindquist had two words to describe his first theater experience. "It's awesome," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 3
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 21
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw