South School drama club lends funky touch to fairy tale
South School students, from left, Sage Matzker, Jillian Maguire, Jonathan Mok and Greg Lindquist rehearse a scene from “The Rockin' Tale of Snow White” Friday afternoon. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
From the colorfully painted backdrops of woodland scenes and magic mirrors to the upbeat musical score, "The Rockin' Tale of Snow White" tells the familiar story in a way the Grimms never could have imagined.
Teacher Deanna Poulin, who has led the school's drama program for the past several years, said the show is school's first musical.
Animals sing and dance, Snow White's magic mirror has a penchant for rap music and as for these seven dwarves, well they're more likely to "doo-wop" than "hi-ho."
Fifth-grader Jillian Maguire plays the role of the evil queen and she said she's been having plenty of fun perfecting her character.
Playing the role of the queen's sinister pet bats are fourth-grader Sage Matzker and fifth-grader Jonathan Mok.
"We get to rap along with our buddy, the queen," said Matzker. "It's definitely not like the Disney movie."
Lindquist had two words to describe his first theater experience. "It's awesome," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Pinkerton: 'No surprises' on first day with additional Hooksett students - 1
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree