South School drama club lends funky touch to fairy tale
South School students, from left, Sage Matzker, Jillian Maguire, Jonathan Mok and Greg Lindquist rehearse a scene from “The Rockin' Tale of Snow White” Friday afternoon. (APRIL GUILMET PHOTO)
From the colorfully painted backdrops of woodland scenes and magic mirrors to the upbeat musical score, "The Rockin' Tale of Snow White" tells the familiar story in a way the Grimms never could have imagined.
Teacher Deanna Poulin, who has led the school's drama program for the past several years, said the show is school's first musical.
Animals sing and dance, Snow White's magic mirror has a penchant for rap music and as for these seven dwarves, well they're more likely to "doo-wop" than "hi-ho."
Fifth-grader Jillian Maguire plays the role of the evil queen and she said she's been having plenty of fun perfecting her character.
Playing the role of the queen's sinister pet bats are fourth-grader Sage Matzker and fifth-grader Jonathan Mok.
"We get to rap along with our buddy, the queen," said Matzker. "It's definitely not like the Disney movie."
Lindquist had two words to describe his first theater experience. "It's awesome," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Firewood scarcity driven by demand throughout NH - 2
- Hopkinton wood program is neighbor to neighbor - 0
- Fire marshal OKs Groton Wind operations after deeming facility safe - 0
- Northeast natural gas at decade high on winter supply concern - 1
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 3
- Hanover project seeks to increase solar installations - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 15
- Developer says Alexandria wrong to deny tower - 0
- Unitil wants to charge NH customers higher rates - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 0
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 0
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Londonderry man killed in cycle crash - 0
- Monitoring social media - 0
- Apple opens in Manchester - 0
- NHIAA football: Bedford hangs on, outlasts Concord - 0
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Rowdy night ushers in Keene Pumpkin Festival
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
Monitoring social media
After riots, soul-searching begins