Scott Brown to announce for U.S. Senate Thursday in Portsmouth
PORTSMOUTH — Republican Scott Brown will make it official Thursday as he formally announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate representing New Hampshire. He will make his announcement at the Portsmouth Harborside Hotel in an event scheduled for 6 p.m.
The former senator from Massachusetts said Portsmouth played a special role in his childhood, in explaining his decision to make the announcement on the Seacoast. He recently moved into the family's summer home in Rye.
"I remember our house on Islington Street, strolling through Strawbery Banke with my grandfather, and catching a show at Prescott Park," he said, bringing attention to his Granite State connections.
"Now, Portsmouth is going to be the start of the next chapter in my life," he said.
Brown will first have to win the Republican nomination in a September primary for the opportunity to face incumbent Democratic Sen. Jeanne Shaheen in the November general election. Former U.S. Sen. Bob Smith, former state Sen. Jim Rubens and Republican activist Karen Testerman are also running for the Republican nomination.
The event is open to the public, on a first-come, first-served basis, given limited space. RSVP at http://scottbrown.com/join-scott-this-thursday/.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.