New Town Meeting podium in Greenfield created from venerable tree
In 2010, one of the old maple trees outside the meeting house fell victim to disease and had to come down, said resident Neal Brown.
“It was dragged to the wood yard and it sat there until we decided what to do with it,” he said.
Using the old tree was a challenge because disease had taken its toll on the wood.
“I had to work around the flaws and problems to build the podium,” Bridgewater said. “I’d never made one of these before.”
Leaving a bit of history behind is part of the mission of the GIVers, he said. Their first endeavor when they formed more than a decade ago was to raise the funds for the Maltese cross that hangs on the town fire barn, said Brown. From there, the group worked to try and solve problems that the town didn’t have the time or resources to grapple with.
The group handles all of the town’s Memorial Day activities, provides assistance to those who have nowhere else to turn, and runs a wood bank for folks who need a bit of help with winter heating.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- After hand injury, Manchester spa owner didn't think she would ever be able to work again - 0
- Scene in Manchester: A no-holds-barred workout right on Elm Street - 1
- Scene in Manchester: Monsters on the loose, again - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: At Zaboo, 'You'll fit right in ...' - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene In Manchester: Tracking street crime is her game - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Elm Street's resurgence includes a good workout - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Calling all area Muchachos - 0
- Scene in Manchester: Runners get ready to travel back in time - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out