New Town Meeting podium in Greenfield created from venerable tree
In 2010, one of the old maple trees outside the meeting house fell victim to disease and had to come down, said resident Neal Brown.
“It was dragged to the wood yard and it sat there until we decided what to do with it,” he said.
Using the old tree was a challenge because disease had taken its toll on the wood.
“I had to work around the flaws and problems to build the podium,” Bridgewater said. “I’d never made one of these before.”
Leaving a bit of history behind is part of the mission of the GIVers, he said. Their first endeavor when they formed more than a decade ago was to raise the funds for the Maltese cross that hangs on the town fire barn, said Brown. From there, the group worked to try and solve problems that the town didn’t have the time or resources to grapple with.
The group handles all of the town’s Memorial Day activities, provides assistance to those who have nowhere else to turn, and runs a wood bank for folks who need a bit of help with winter heating.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua parkway route change means land for sale - 0
- Request to start funding Londonderry auditorium may go to voters in March - 0
- Gilford selectmen vote to allow fireworks in town again - 1
- Former Fitzwilliam police chief's lawsuit against the town dismissed - 0
- Nashua panel wants details on proposed site for city's new public health building - 0
- Sunapee officials say they don't plan to build housing - 1
- Merrimack considering assistant town manager - 0
- Lakes Region commission sees less growth in region - 1
- Cheshire commissioners to gather public opinion on county nursing home plans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America