New Town Meeting podium in Greenfield created from venerable tree
In 2010, one of the old maple trees outside the meeting house fell victim to disease and had to come down, said resident Neal Brown.
“It was dragged to the wood yard and it sat there until we decided what to do with it,” he said.
Using the old tree was a challenge because disease had taken its toll on the wood.
“I had to work around the flaws and problems to build the podium,” Bridgewater said. “I’d never made one of these before.”
Leaving a bit of history behind is part of the mission of the GIVers, he said. Their first endeavor when they formed more than a decade ago was to raise the funds for the Maltese cross that hangs on the town fire barn, said Brown. From there, the group worked to try and solve problems that the town didn’t have the time or resources to grapple with.
The group handles all of the town’s Memorial Day activities, provides assistance to those who have nowhere else to turn, and runs a wood bank for folks who need a bit of help with winter heating.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
- Manchester teachers to vote again next week on contract - 0
- Nabbed and then cleared by feds, NH man still intends to sell rhino trophy - 0
- Developer says Alexandria wrong to deny tower - 0
- Salem police target ski-jacket thief who used tree branch to hide license plate - 0
- David Harsanyi: Obama acts alone on war, too - 0
- Nashua man was not Mirandized following shooting by police, court documents say - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond