With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed
Wayne Davis of Country 3 Corners True Value Hardware said testing sump pumps, cleaning gutters and replacing hoses can keep basements dry as the rainy season moves in. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER PHOTO)
But whether 2014 will bring major floods is not a question anyone can answer, according to National Weather Service meteorologist James Brown in Gray, Maine. "The fact that it snowed a lot this year doesn't mean it's going to rain a lot," he said.
With yearly snowfall totals measuring more than 20 inches above average in many places, Brown said, the ground is saturated and rivers are running high. The cooler temperatures New Hampshire has experienced this spring have slowed the rate of snow melt, so rivers are experiencing a more gradual increase in water levels than in some years, he said.
Wayne Davis of Country 3 Corners True Value Hardware in Weare said that now is the time to start making sure things are ship-shape around the house.
A sump pump, generally sunk into a bucket in a hole in the basement floor, keeps the water level under the foundation from getting high enough to cause flooding.
The hoses that lead from the pump to the outside should be checked for wear and tear and replaced if necessary, he said.
For folks with gutters, giving them a good cleaning will help move the rain away from the foundation. But Davis said a lot of people forget one important step.
For those without gutters, installing rain diverters, L-shaped metal strips, over exterior doors will keep the water from splashing and causing door sills to rot. Davis said those need to be cleaned of debris as well.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m