Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist
"I was clearly misunderstood. I take responsibility for this; I'm a judge, I should be clear," Lewis said Monday. Lewis said he's not a sexist. He said his wife is an artist and a feminist; his daughter is a lawyer. His mother, an escapee from Nazi Germany, ran the family business after his father died at a young age, he said. And at Columbia Law School, he worked alongside then-professor Ruth Bader Ginsburg on a Supreme Court legal brief challenging sexual discrimination.
He is 67 and retired as supervisory judge of Strafford County Superior Court, where he earned $137,800 a year.
"I never felt as though Judge Lewis made a ruling against us because of these thoughts, or beliefs, or musings," Velardi said.
Under the terms of the reprimand agreed to by Lewis, he retired without senior status, meaning he won't take judicial work on a limited basis. Nor will he serve in any other judicial capacity.
But Lewis disputed any other violations of the judicial code.
He said he continues to practice law in a limited capacity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man stole lottery tickets from Manchester store - 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- 48 set to be cleared after Ebola monitoring - 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 1
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- Report: Sox may trade Cespedes - 0
- Pearson, Toffoli score in Los Angeles' win - 0
- Monarchs, UNH brace for home openers - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Monitoring social media
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy