Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist
"I was clearly misunderstood. I take responsibility for this; I'm a judge, I should be clear," Lewis said Monday. Lewis said he's not a sexist. He said his wife is an artist and a feminist; his daughter is a lawyer. His mother, an escapee from Nazi Germany, ran the family business after his father died at a young age, he said. And at Columbia Law School, he worked alongside then-professor Ruth Bader Ginsburg on a Supreme Court legal brief challenging sexual discrimination.
He is 67 and retired as supervisory judge of Strafford County Superior Court, where he earned $137,800 a year.
"I never felt as though Judge Lewis made a ruling against us because of these thoughts, or beliefs, or musings," Velardi said.
Under the terms of the reprimand agreed to by Lewis, he retired without senior status, meaning he won't take judicial work on a limited basis. Nor will he serve in any other judicial capacity.
But Lewis disputed any other violations of the judicial code.
He said he continues to practice law in a limited capacity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $11 million requested for priority city school projects - 1
- Berlin considers synthetic marijuana ban - 1
- New year could bring higher costs for members of Claremont Community Center - 0
- Retirement system ruling gets thumbs up from Moody's - 4
- Rates for Hudson recreation programs may be increasing - 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads