Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Conway Voters Approve Budgets, Defeat Caps
For planning board, Kevin Flanagan and Martha Tobin were re-elected to three-year terms with both having a better than 300-vote margin over Steven Steiner.
In balloting for the school board, John Skelton and Janine McLauchlan were re-elected but Rick Breton was not. Challenger Michelle Capozzoli received 940 votes, the highest among the four candidates.
On the town ballot, voters adopted an operating budget of $10,189,547 by an almost three-to-one margin and by an equally significant margin they defeated a proposal to implement a 10 percent cap on how much the amount to be raised by taxes can increase annually.
In an effort to make it unpalatable to voters Tuesday, the town tax cap article was amended during last month's deliberative session, from its original 2.5 percent increase to 10 percent, which is the maximum that voters, by law, can increase a budget proposed by a municipal budget committee at Town Meeting.
The 2.5 percent language survived the school district deliberative session intact but not the will of voters yesterday, when only 46.6 percent felt it should be adopted. Both the town cap, which received 32 percent of votes cast, as well as the school-district cap, needed 60 percent to pass.
Also on the school ballot, voters adopted a $33,848,895 operating budget in addition to collective bargaining agreements between the school board and the Conway Education Association; the Conway Educational Support Personnel; and American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches