Home » News » Public Safety
Small fire at Londonderry elementary school investigated
LONDONDERRY — School officials are investigating the cause of a small fire that occurred in one of Matthew Thornton Elementary School’s rest rooms Tuesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Mammoth Road school shortly before 9 a.m., after staff members discovered a pile of paper products burning in a lavatory near the second-graders’ wing.
Battalion Chief Jim Roger said the fire was a “very small one” and had for the most part extinguished itself by the time firefighters arrived.
“We ventilated the room to remove any fire odor,” Roger said, adding that the scene was cleared by 9:52 a.m.
Brian Johnson, division chief of fire prevention, will be working closely with school administrators to investigate what may have led up to the fire, which is being considered accidental at this time.
Roger credited school staff and students for their prompt response.
“Everyone there just interacted excellently with the firefighters,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 1
- Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck - 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH