Home » News » Public Safety
Small fire at Londonderry elementary school investigated
LONDONDERRY — School officials are investigating the cause of a small fire that occurred in one of Matthew Thornton Elementary School’s rest rooms Tuesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Mammoth Road school shortly before 9 a.m., after staff members discovered a pile of paper products burning in a lavatory near the second-graders’ wing.
Battalion Chief Jim Roger said the fire was a “very small one” and had for the most part extinguished itself by the time firefighters arrived.
“We ventilated the room to remove any fire odor,” Roger said, adding that the scene was cleared by 9:52 a.m.
Brian Johnson, division chief of fire prevention, will be working closely with school administrators to investigate what may have led up to the fire, which is being considered accidental at this time.
Roger credited school staff and students for their prompt response.
“Everyone there just interacted excellently with the firefighters,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record