Home » News » Public Safety
Rest room fire at Londonderry school investigated
LONDONDERRY — School officials are investigating the cause of a small fire that occurred in one of Matthew Thornton Elementary School’s rest rooms Tuesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Mammoth Road school shortly before 9 a.m., after staff members discovered a pile of paper products burning in a lavatory near the second-graders’ wing.
Battalion Chief Jim Roger said the fire was a “very small one” and had for the most part extinguished itself by the time firefighters arrived.
“We ventilated the room to remove any fire odor,” Roger said, adding that the scene was cleared by 9:52 a.m.
Brian Johnson, division chief of fire prevention, will be working closely with school administrators to investigate what may have led up to the fire, which is being considered “accidental” at this time.
Roger credited school staff and students for their prompt response.
“Everyone there just interacted excellently with the firefighters,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance