Home » News » Public Safety
Rest room fire at Londonderry school investigated
LONDONDERRY — School officials are investigating the cause of a small fire that occurred in one of Matthew Thornton Elementary School’s rest rooms Tuesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Mammoth Road school shortly before 9 a.m., after staff members discovered a pile of paper products burning in a lavatory near the second-graders’ wing.
Battalion Chief Jim Roger said the fire was a “very small one” and had for the most part extinguished itself by the time firefighters arrived.
“We ventilated the room to remove any fire odor,” Roger said, adding that the scene was cleared by 9:52 a.m.
Brian Johnson, division chief of fire prevention, will be working closely with school administrators to investigate what may have led up to the fire, which is being considered “accidental” at this time.
Roger credited school staff and students for their prompt response.
“Everyone there just interacted excellently with the firefighters,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 1
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH