Home » News » Public Safety
Rest room fire at Londonderry school investigated
LONDONDERRY — School officials are investigating the cause of a small fire that occurred in one of Matthew Thornton Elementary School’s rest rooms Tuesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Mammoth Road school shortly before 9 a.m., after staff members discovered a pile of paper products burning in a lavatory near the second-graders’ wing.
Battalion Chief Jim Roger said the fire was a “very small one” and had for the most part extinguished itself by the time firefighters arrived.
“We ventilated the room to remove any fire odor,” Roger said, adding that the scene was cleared by 9:52 a.m.
Brian Johnson, division chief of fire prevention, will be working closely with school administrators to investigate what may have led up to the fire, which is being considered “accidental” at this time.
Roger credited school staff and students for their prompt response.
“Everyone there just interacted excellently with the firefighters,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return