Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH
Edgerly School Road in Meredith, a normal trouble spot during mud season, has fared well mud-wise this spring. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
All the snow remaining from winter had many people thinking the state would be in for a troublesome mud season.
Belmont Public Works Director Jim Fortin took it a bit further in looking forward on Monday. The state was due to receive an inch or more of rain Monday night. Combine that with by 50- and 60-degree temperatures this week, and mud season may pass by week's end, he said.
A "mild" mud season is already occurring, and the rains "will cause some road problems," he said.
"But we're not having a normal year for mud," Fortin said. "It's been a very nice spring thaw so far."
Two years ago, mud season was so bad that several school buses full of children had to be pulled out of bad mud areas in town.
"I think the rain will take a lot of the snow, I don't know about all of it," Perkins said. "But either way, I don't see any major mud problems ahead."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 12
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it