Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH
Edgerly School Road in Meredith, a normal trouble spot during mud season, has fared well mud-wise this spring. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
All the snow remaining from winter had many people thinking the state would be in for a troublesome mud season.
Belmont Public Works Director Jim Fortin took it a bit further in looking forward on Monday. The state was due to receive an inch or more of rain Monday night. Combine that with by 50- and 60-degree temperatures this week, and mud season may pass by week's end, he said.
A "mild" mud season is already occurring, and the rains "will cause some road problems," he said.
"But we're not having a normal year for mud," Fortin said. "It's been a very nice spring thaw so far."
Two years ago, mud season was so bad that several school buses full of children had to be pulled out of bad mud areas in town.
"I think the rain will take a lot of the snow, I don't know about all of it," Perkins said. "But either way, I don't see any major mud problems ahead."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four