Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH
Edgerly School Road in Meredith, a normal trouble spot during mud season, has fared well mud-wise this spring. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
All the snow remaining from winter had many people thinking the state would be in for a troublesome mud season.
Belmont Public Works Director Jim Fortin took it a bit further in looking forward on Monday. The state was due to receive an inch or more of rain Monday night. Combine that with by 50- and 60-degree temperatures this week, and mud season may pass by week's end, he said.
A "mild" mud season is already occurring, and the rains "will cause some road problems," he said.
"But we're not having a normal year for mud," Fortin said. "It's been a very nice spring thaw so far."
Two years ago, mud season was so bad that several school buses full of children had to be pulled out of bad mud areas in town.
"I think the rain will take a lot of the snow, I don't know about all of it," Perkins said. "But either way, I don't see any major mud problems ahead."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate