Survey authors defend questioning Bedford middle school students about their sex lives
"They were looking at things like persistence in doing homework, or are you curious," Wolf said. "That's what they were notified of at elementary levels."
"When we go into any survey administration, we want to be clear that parental permission is a top priority," Roskopf said. "It is a top priority. Parents should definitely have the option to opt out."
"They should be told 'if you feel uncomfortable you can stop taking the survey,'" Roskopf said.
But some doubt whether an adolescent of 11-13 years of age would readily stand out among members of his or her peer group and decline to continue the survey.
"We may get a question from a superintendent and we talk it over and they work it out with parents to see what they are comfortable with," Roskopf said. "They work it out with parents to see what they are comfortable with."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 12
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 5
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 64
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley