Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired
"He had a deep love for the students, and he worked very hard to make a difference," school board member John Avard said.
Brennan left the job in June 2013. Later that summer, he was diagnosed with cancer, according to previous news accounts.
Brennan's accomplishments include the conversion of Manchester School of Technology to a four-year high school and the implementation of programs that encourage students to learn outside the classroom. Last spring, he overcame resistance from veteran teachers and reformed the district program for students with limited English skills.
"The employees were beginning to feel they were part of a team," Avard said. "He started the process of building the team."
"He never forgot the human element of what he was doing," Dick said.
Brennan was an assistant superintendent in Manchester from 1998 to 2000. He left Manchester to become superintendent in New London, where he maintained his home even after taking the Manchester job.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride