Home » News » Public Safety
Peterborough names new fire chief
Former Weston, Mass., Fire Chief Edmund "Ed" Walker was named the new chief of Peterborough Fire and Rescue by town officials this week.
"I'm excited to be able to come in and work in the town of Peterborough and really continue their excellence in their fire and rescue and emergency department," Walker said Thursday.
Walker is succeeding Joseph Lenox III, who is retiring after 10 years of service with the town in the chief position.
Walker has 23 years of firefighting experience, including five and a half as a fire chief, as well as administrative experience heading up the Bay State's fire academy.
It was this mix of fire service and administrative experience that led to the town fire chief search committee to pick Walker, Peterborough town administrator Pam Brenner said Thursday.
"First he has experience in the two areas we were looking for," Brenner said.
The search committee was formed back in November and received 70 applications for the position, Brenner said.
In 2007 he left the Weston department to become the director of the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy where he had also served as program coordinator and fire instructor since 1992.
Walker, 49, said Thursday he left the academy last year to do consulting work and return to school, with his eye toward finding a fire chief position he could fill.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride